Partnering with investigators to ensure safe and ethical research
Purpose and Components of the Human Research Protection Program
The KU Medical Center Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) was developed to ensure the rights, safety and welfare of all subjects recruited or enrolled in research projects, regardless of funding source. The program also ensures that all personnel involved in research activities understand and comply with the ethical standards of research. The HRPP coordinates oversight by incorporating all aspects of compliance related to human subjects research. The components of the HRPP are:
Consultation and Pre-Review Services
The Human Research Protection Program is pleased to offer Consultation Appointments to assist investigators, coordinators, residents, and students with pre-review and other questions about IRB submissions. Half-hour appointments will be offered during the following times:
Mondays: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Wednesdays: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Fridays: 2-3 p.m.
Other times can be arranged when requested. Researchers may use the 30-minute time slot for help to: evaluate the feasibility of a project and possible regulatory implications; pre-review your draft IRB application, protocol and consent form; assist answering provisos and general questions about IRB and other regulatory requirements. To schedule an appointment, contact the IRB Office at (913) 588-1240 or IRBhelp@kumc.edu.
About eCompliance / eIRB System
- Electronic submissions of Human Subjects Research applications AND Conflict of Interest reports can be completed at https://ecompliance.ku.edu
- Instructions and help are posted on the IRB Forms and Electronic Submission pages.
- If you experience difficulty accessing the system, clear your browser's cache. If that doesn't work, contact us at (913) 588-1240 or IRBhelp@kumc.edu.
- Departmental training for the electronic IRB process can be arranged.
- We offer assistance with eCompliance on Mondays at noon and most Thursdays at 2 pm.
KU Medical Center IRB Information
Federalwide Assurance (FWA) has been approved for KU Medical Center. The FWA covers two IRBs that operate at the KU Medical Center main campus in Kansas City as well as other IRBs designated by the KU Medical Center HRPP as reviewing IRBs.
- Institutional Organization #: IORG0000100
- Federalwide Assurance #: FWA00003411
- KUMC IRBs
- IRB 1#: IRB00000161
- IRB 3#: IRB00006196
- IRB regulatory assurance statement (PDF) and statement about IRB membership (January 2021)
KU Medical Center's Human Research Protection Program Achieves Accreditation
WASHINGTON, DC, Sept. 19, 2007 -- The Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. (AAHRPP) today announced the first organizations to be accredited in the states of Kansas, Oklahoma and West Virginia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. The list includes the Human Research Protection Program at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
To anonymously report suspected violations or concerns:
This is not a 911 Emergency Service.